Position: Research Assistant – Microbiology
About the company:
Allvivo Vascular develops bio-interactive coatings for medical devices and combination products. We are an early stage, privately held company that provides a creative and challenging work environment. The company's collaborative and multi-disciplinary environment provides employees with excellent opportunities to learn new skills and achieve personal growth while developing products that improve healthcare.
The microbiologist will contribute to the development of antimicrobial coatings for medical devices. The successful candidate will be responsible for conducting assays to evaluate the efficacy of antimicrobial technologies in preventing the adhesion and biofilm formation of bacteria on devices as well as the efficacy of novel antimicrobial formulations against mature biofilms. They will be responsible for improving existing assays and developing new assays to study parameters that impact biofilm growth and biofilm properties to support the improvement of product formulations. They will be responsible for validating new assays, preparing and updating standard operating procedures, and maintaining a Biosafety Level II laboratory. The candidate will also be responsible for coordinating with contract research organizations to plan and complete biocompatibility and other preclinical studies.
- Support R&D projects by performing a range of microbiology assays including log reduction assays utilizing both planktonic and biofilm models.
- Improve existing assays. Develop, optimize and validate new test methods to evaluate and verify the efficacy of antimicrobial coatings and treatment formulations.
- Conduct cell based assays using fibroblasts and keratinocytes.
- Accurately record data and file information in accordance with the company’s Good Laboratory Practices and R&D procedures.
- Maintain a clean and safe working environment and ensure compliance with all environmental health and safety standards.
- Author scientific and technical memos/reports/papers, making appropriate conclusions, recommendations and presentations as required.
- Support regulatory submissions (documentation, testing, etc).
- Actively contribute to company meetings.
- Support lab operations including preparing buffers, ordering supplies, autoclaving materials, cleaning, and equipment maintenance.
- Perform literature searches. Interpret and apply information from literature to improve methods and support the product development group.
- Help with general administrative tasks.
- Education: BS, MS or PhD degree in, microbiology or other related discipline
- Experience: 2-3 years of hands on microbiology experience. Experience in R&D or process development within medical device, pharmaceutical, or other regulated FDA/QSR or ISO environment is preferred.
- Hands on experience with bacteria culture, evaluating bacteria attachment and growth on substrates, preparing and evaluating biofilms, and understanding of biofilm models
- Hands on experience conducting antimicrobial susceptibility testing including antimicrobial susceptibility testing in biofilm-growing bacteria
- Aseptic technique
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Excellent organizational skills
- Proficiency in MS office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook)
Additional Helpful Qualifications: (Optional)
- Understanding of bacteria/host cell interaction, inflammation pathways, and wound healing
- Understanding of biocompatibility test requirements for medical devices
- Experience in the formulation and delivery of drugs and biologics
- Experience with HPLC
- Experience working in controlled environment under GLP/cGMP and knowledge of related requirements
Salary commensurate with experience.
Vacation and sick day benefits
Please email a PDF or MS Word copy of your resume to email@example.com. To ensure your resume is received, please include “Research Assistant Microbiology” in the subject line of your email.